Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Aloha

Or Howdy as I usually say...

Made it to Hawaii. Things have been going fine so far. Getting here was a pain in the royal ass though. For three days we had packers and movers in the house in NC. I am glad we don't have to actually do the packing but trying to take care of a baby and a bored 4 year old during that time period was a bit difficult. After everything was gone we moved into temporary housing on base for 10 days before we flew. Now we have been at this base's temporary housing for just over a week. Neither place has an oven. So for over two weeks we have been living on microwavable meals and fast food. You could say I am sick of it. We have gone out to a few nice restaurants since coming here but let's face it, you can only do that so much before going broke. I am dying for a home-made meal. It's still undermined as to when we will have a house so who knows when that will be. This room though isn't too bad. We have the Internet and a normal amount of TV stations to watch, and there is a small playground just outside of our room. There is also a 7 Day store right across the street as well which works out since we only have one car at the moment. (Mine should be on a boat by now some place on the Pacific)

Aside from Em being totally bored out of her mind while Keith is at work (She doesn't have any toys and we are pretty much confined to the room during work days), we are doing good. It will be wonderful to have a house again and our things. It has only been two weeks (almost 3),but living out of suitcases for that long and not eating real healthy kind of stinks. I just want to get settled now that we are here and back into a routine. I have to say though that we are doing really well for having 4 people share a small room together. Em is bouncing off the walls like a bird on crack but I can't blame her for that. God must of determined that I need some extra help and has been over loading me with patience which isn't normal for me. I am not saying I don't have my moments but knowing she is doing well for a 4 year old with no toys and no friends at the moment is keeping me from flipping out. I feel badly for her and I think she is doing pretty good actually dealing with it. We just have to remind her to calm down during the day...

Now as far as Hawaii goes (Which is actually Hawai'i people), from what I have seen so far I like it. The mountains (AKA Volcanoes) are beautiful. We went to the beach last weekend and Keith found an area which is shaded and has a such a low tide you can walk out as far as the eye can see. So it was great for us. Oli slept in the nice cool shaded breeze and Em played safely in the water while Keith snorkeled. The water is crystal clear and feels like bath water. (My big toe was really all that made it in) The Island has all that we will ever need... It has a HUGE tourist area in Honolulu where there are tons of stores to shop. The food is amazing here. I don't know if it's because we just came from a small country town or what but I just can't get over the taste of the food, it's so yummy. There are a few malls to shop here and even carry things I used to love to look at in the 100 Yen store in Japan. (Yes people there are things I DO miss about Japan, just not the housing there or lack of quaility of life) Speaking of the Japan thing... You can see the Japanese influence all over the Island and there is even Japanese TV shows on with subtitles. I watch it for some reason... I guess because it's all I had in Japan at times to watch so it just seems natural again to watch it here... now though at least I know what they are saying. They have authentic Japanese food here, not the crap they try to sell as Japanese food back in mainland. I have to say this because I do believe that somewhere along the line people got to thinking that I didn't like the Japanese PEOPLE which isn't the case. I didn't like (okay, hated), the way we had to live there. When you go from having everything at your finger tips to virtually having nothing or not even something related to what you are used to ... it is difficult. And, yes, I know that means I am spoiled but we all are as Americans and I can guarantee that if you had to live like Keith and I did there (not go on vacation for a few days), you would not have been happy about it either. Anyway, I just don't want people to act like they are surprised that I missed some Japanese things because after all I lived there for 3 years and of course some things I would miss. But for the most part I was thrilled to get out of there. Here though ,I can be a spoiled American and enjoy some of the Japanese things that I actually did miss once I left. However, now I can have these things AND will also have my air conditioner, heat, a fridge (Not a HOLE in the ground to store food in my kitchen), no maggots in my food, a phone, TV stations that do not play "Mr Belvader" 4 times a day, (The same episode for shit's sake), (And for a whole year we did not get ANY TV or have a phone at ALL), and now we access to food that I actually know what it is. I also do not have to point at pictures to communicate with people ... AND that is just a few things to give you an example... if you want more email me because I have compiled a list that goes on for three years. (For those of you in the military and have done a tour in Owkinawa, I KNOW you have no clue what I am talking about, trust me.)

So anyway, Hawaii... Yeah I like it! I think the girls are going to like it. Emily loves going to the beach so that is a plus. There is allot here to do of course and lots of shopping. Having a variety of bases to go to is also great. The Marine Corps doesn't exactly spend it's money on nice Commissaries or Exchanges since they don't have much money to begin with as far as branches of military go... (They kind of spend their money on bullets or repairing used gear over and over), so to be able to go to the Navy or Air Force base which have HUGE stores is wonderful. I am also looking forward to getting my camera and taking some pictures. All in all it's going to be nice to call this place home.

The girls are good. Like I said Em is a bit bored but who can blame her? Oli is good. Getting bigger and bigger. I started her on solid food which she didn't take to right away. By the third time of trying though she started grunting at me for more and opening her mouth like a little birdy waiting for the spoon. Now she eats like a champ and is doing well with it. She is also still Breast Feeding really well so it is working out. IF she wasn't BFing as good I would stop with the solids but it isn't the case at the moment. She is so different than Em ever was as a baby and has her own little personality. She is much more calm and patient than Em and likes to snuggle a lot more. Em was happy to be on her own where Oli is happier being held but she is fine if you put her down and have to take care of things. She only cries if she wants you or is hungry... It's been a blessing during this period of time. She is such a good baby. Both girls actually have been wonderful during the move and Keith and I know how lucky we have been because of it. Between all the trips to NY and back to NC and then the move... then the 9 hour flight, and now having not much to do... well they are handling it really well. Em was asking about her toys last night... She misses them and she knows that her new bed should also be here soon. She is anxious for it all to get here, the same with Keith and I! Oli rolled over a few times but has since forgot that she can do it. I am just enjoying her being a small baby still so that is fine with me. I have learned to enjoy each day now which is so different than how I was with Em. I was obsessed with her obtaining each milestone, now she is 4 years old and I feel like I missed her being a baby because of it.

Anyway, both girls are awake now and I have to go be Mommy. Hope everyone is doing well and I will try and be better about updating. Hopefully we will get a house soon and my camera to follow so I can share some pictures. Until later...