Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Ketchup is not a food

I have finally given Emily a try at Ketchup... She had a squirt on her tray with some chicken so I showed her how Mommy dips. I know some of you out there are going "Holy crap, you never gave your kid ketchup before?" Well people, she is only 1.5 and I wanted her to eat food without always having to dip her food in something... So, anyway, she did it a couple of times before she decided she really liked the ketchup, JUST the ketchup. She then proceeded to eat just the ketchup and once it was gone she screamed at me and kept pointing to the spot where it used to be. So of course I gave her more. So, pretty much Emily mainly ate ketchup for dinner last night... it is made of tomatoes so I guess she will live...
Today Emily spilt milk all over my newly washed floors ( I swear I couldn't keep those floors clean for more than 5 minutes to save my life), so I went to go and get something to wipe it up with..I came back to find my little helper had gone into the dirty clothes hamper, pulled out a dirty bra and began to wipe up her mess herself. I don't even know how to really react to this.. she is cleaning up her own mess!!! She is using my bra, not exactly a great choice but hey, she is showing some initiative!
So after all the chaos I have finally taken Em to her 15 month well baby appointment... Yeah, I am a couple of months late. All is good though people... her Doctors tells me she has officially caught up to the kids she was born with. Just a few months ago the same Doctor had me do an E.I. evaluation on her for fear she was falling behind. BUT as well all know Emily is Miss determined and showed us all that she once again does things on her own terms. The only thing she is really behind on is her weight... She is 21.4 pounds and 30.5 inches long. BUT, people Caty her first cousin, is only about 24 pounds and she is 2 this weekend. I think they both just have a really fast metabolism and never sit for more than a half a second... and even that is pushing it! Emily and Caty both had bloodwork to make sure nothing was wrong because of the lack of weight gain but they are both healthy.... just always on the move. God knows they both eat like pigs! So, I am really proud of my little Turkey...
I am trying this technique with Emily... The "Get off my leg, stop clinging to me, screaming and crying at the same time" technique. I am sure you all know it well. I need to nip it in the butt now before it gets worse, before it is a horrible habit which it is already becoming. Anyway, I did this thing tonight when she started it and it actually worked!! Okay, maybe it was a lucky first time thing but this is what I did... She was hugging my leg screaming and crying because I took something away from her that she wasn't supposed to have.... so I walked her across the room, told her she needed to stop crying and that she could come and see Mommy when she was done crying and screaming. I went on my computer and out of the corner of my eye I saw the look of shock on her face...LOL When I turned towards her she made sure the Drama Queen came out in full force but I ignored her.... She then tried to get back at me by turning her head away from me and huffed a puffed. A couple of minutes later she was fine and came up to me and hugged with a huge smile.... I swear I almost died from delight! Like I said, maybe it is a lucky first time thing, but hey, I'll take what I can get!
Anyway people... It is late and I have a turkey to take care of in the morning.... so until next time...