Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Life goes on...

When you live far away from you family and the phone rings very early in the morning you know it is not good....
I heard my father's voice this morning and awaited the news that my Grandfather had passed. In the same breath of sadness came relief. We all knew it was going to happen, he was slipping away little by little each day. Of course being selfish that I am, I thought about how I would not be able to see him anymore... then afterwards I had remembered the past few times that I had seen him in the nursing home and how he didn't look like the man I knew as my Grandfather... not only that but he no longer knew who I was.
When someone dies it is natural to think of their life, your memories with this person. I knew him as a Grandfather... Of course my Dad knows him as his Dad but I don't really know that person. I can see my father for the man he is today so that says alot... I have memories of going on vacations with my grandparents, spending summer days at their house and being spoiled. I remember growing up I used to call him Grumpy because while we were at their house during the summer he used to get tired of all the noise and say to my Grandmother " Dotch" (My grandmother's pet name)... And we all knew what that meant when he called for her because we were acting up. He never said anything to us though... always made her do it! LOL I remember he was never happy with whatever car he had.... How he always wanted to move and see something different. I remember how he used to like to just sit outside and look around.
I remember he used to get upset about leaving all of us for the winter when they would go down south to visit with friends and just be some place warm other than cold snowy NY. I hope he is in a place now where he can see all the things he used to deam about... and yet be with us all at the same time.
I didn't know my Grandfather as an adult knows an adult... I knew him as a child and still no very little about his whole life. I guess every child knows what they need to know about their grandparents... They are a good spouse, a Good parent to your parent, and above all a wonderful and loving Grandparent. He was all three. He lived a very long life and a happy life and was loved by many.... Not many people can say the same. I am sad he is gone but happy he is no longer living a life of weakness and confusion. I hope he gets to sit back some place where he is and remember and relive memories in his life... It has been a long time since he was able to do that. I hope he's eating good food, laughing with my cousin, and sitting in awe over all the sites he missed.
I miss you my Grumpy... See you one day. Until then have fun watching me be the crazy Mother that I am.... I love you.

I didn't write this entry for a bunch of "I am sorry for your loss"... it is okay. But, if you feel the need go ahead and write them to my Father... he lost his father, he has been at his side and my grandmother's at a drop of a dime. Anything they ever needed, he has always been the perfect son to them. I know he is sad but relieved that he has gone on to a better place as well but as my mother says " you only have one father". I am sure he is going through a lot of emotions right now. My Grandmother is living in her own little world and I am sure that it is better that way. I don't know if they were ever even seperated before for any amount of time so I truly think her being in the state she is she is better off. Thank you....